roodoodey

We have been using Spine for two years with great results.

Since we have created a lot of animations for most of the monsters in our game we wanted to explore the skins feature which we are very excited for.

I went back to an old photoshop document to export a separate skin which my artist added in the same document. I have tried reading up on how to tag and setup the photoshop file to no avail as this part of the process for skinning is poorly documented. I followed the documentation here: https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/spine-scripts/tree/master/photoshop and this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7yZET00GeE&t=611s&ab_channel=EsotericSoftware.

I setup the following structure:
[skin] ice
-- front_hand
[skin] default
--front_hand

When I tried this structure I always get the following error:
Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 14.25.53.png

Which says "Multiple layers for the "xxxx" slot have the same name. In this case the front_hand slot and all other slots in the skin folders. I have tried multiple things like outlining the slots with tags but it seems like the attachments cannot have the same name? This will cause issues when we add the skin to our current spine projects following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81XU7Uqpm6E&ab_channel=EsotericSoftware

In the video it seems crucial that the attachments have the same name between skins which is not working for me in my current structure.

Could someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction or some better documentation on how to setup photoshop files for skinning with spine? This would help a great deal for me and my artist as we are both stuck in photoshop structure and exporting process.
이 게시글에 첨부된 파일을 보기위한 권한을 요청할 수 없습니다.
roodoodey
  • 전체글: 2

Erika

Hello, theoretically this should work as you described it, could you post a screenshot of your layer names in photoshop? (or send us the problematic file to contact@esotericsoftware.com).
I recommend to try to filter the layers in photoshop for the problematic name, perhaps indeed a copy has escaped your eyes, cause I've always used same names in different skins without issues.

By the way, you should not call a skin default, in Spine that is usually reserved for when you have no skin. Although I don't think that is your current problem.
사용자 아바타
Erika

Erikari
  • 전체글: 2951

roodoodey

Hey Erika, glad to know that I am at least using the right procedure. I looked at a bunch of videos and tried several things to get the export working.

I had done as you suggested and gone over all of the layers to make sure we don't have any duplicate attachment names.

I was unaware you should not call a skin default because our skin on the old skeleton was "default" so I wanted to maintain the same structure for that part of the file. I removed the default name as per your suggestion and renamed it to something else and that seems to have fixed the duplicate attachment error. Could that indeed be related? I find it odd but thank you for the assist. Glad that my understanding of the documentation was correct. A more detailed in depth guide about best practices when structuring a photoshop file for spine would be a welcome thing. The guides I referenced were good for the basics but when it comes to more custom and complicated procedures such as skinning I found little information for example when applying bones and slots.

In any case thank you for the swift response.
roodoodey
  • 전체글: 2

Nate

The skin name "default" is reserved, the editor won't allow you to create a skin with that name. It is used internally in the runtimes to store all the attachments that aren't in a skin. Using it with the Photoshop script treats the attachments as not being in a skin, then the error makes sense. We've made it an error to use "default" as a skin name in the latest script to reduce confusion. Sorry you ran into that! Hopefully you find it straightforward to use now that that's behind you. :)
사용자 아바타
Nate

Nate
  • 전체글: 11261

다시 돌아감: Editor